May 6, 2010

Problems with bottled water

I recently bought a reusable, hard plastic bottle for drinking water. The idea of buying disposable bottles of purified water did not appeal to me because the empties need to be re-cycled and production of the soft plastic bottles use up non-renewable petroleum products.

When I got home I noticed a warning label on the bottle I purchased. It said the product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer. Hmm!

Sure enough, plastic is not an inert substance and it contains chemicals like BPA and phthalates, which mimic hormones in your body. This is one of the many facts I learned by subsequently scouring the WWW. The best re-usable bottle appears to be one made of stainless steel.

Furthermore, the production and disposal soft plastic bottles of water creates significant environmental problems, and the purified water may not be as pure as the manufacturer would like you to believe.

For additional information on this subject, I recommend the following page for quick reading and an informative video:  This Common Beverage Can Spike Brain Damage, Obesity, and Cancer Risk

See also FDA continues dragging its feet on Bisphenol-A decision 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This